Saturday, September 5, 2015

Progress In Learning Fusion 360 From Autodesk

About a week ago I posted about finding Autodesk's Fusion 360 free CAD software.  In this amount of time I have been putting in as much effort as possible to break the software down and learn how it is to design something with it.  I am still quite impressed by what this software can do that I could not accomplish in other CAD software that I have worked with.  With all of this in mind I set out to create a simple computer model of possibly a future project that I may develop further as time moves on.  


In two days I was able to come up with this beautiful CAD model of a jet drive boat.  It is nowhere near complete but the point of this model was just to see what I could learn from the software and how hard it was to manipulate a design after I had started with it.  I am also putting in the hours that it takes to learn the software's  tools and how to use them. 


Some of the techniques that I have used to design things in software such as ProEngineer and Inventor I still have yet to figure out in Fusion 360.  The new software has a different way of creating models that eliminates a lot of the clutter associated with the ProE and Inventor  software so that is a good thing, but it still will take me some time to be proficient with this new software.  


In the images you see here I have have not put in the detailed engineering to actually make this a working boat either small or full sized.  That takes a lot more time than just a couple of days to work out even if you are only going to make say a RC radio controlled boat.  Something that would be much cheaper to build than a full sized boat to be sure and still be a lot of fun to design and build. 


In this version of the boat I decided to full enclose the boat which would make it a lot simpler for an RC model to be sure.  Electric drive would be my best guess as to how to power such a model so that is another thought on this design. 


I am quite impressed with the graphics that Fusion 360 creates as illustrated with these images.  Very simple to understand settings to make various views and lighting setups so it's a lot of fun along the way while trying to learn all the tools of the software.


Anyway this is just another plug for my views on what I think of Fusion 360 and what it can create.  I'll keep working on the software to learn more on the fine details that I will need for future projects.  But after only a few days time if I can come up with this in short order just wait until I get into something a lot more complicated such as the images you see below.





This radio controlled car was modeled using Fusion 360 and the photos were posted on the Autodesk users website.  Tremendous modeling done here which makes my boat look like I have much more work to go before it can even be put into a small pond of water.  Interesting to say the least and so I thought I would pass these along to everyone also to show you the real capabilities of what this software is really capable of. 
Enjoy the photos and check out the Autodesk website to get a free copy of the software for yourself. 

http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview

No comments:

Post a Comment