Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The Velomobile In Living Color!

With all the things going on here at the Tinker's Workshop I still am plugging along with the painting of the velomobile.  Not that I can say it is finished yet....sorry.  But the project is looking better and better each day that I get some work done on it.  So with that said here are the latest photos and the progress that has gone on.




A few days ago I finally was able to unwrap the covering from the velomobile to see how the painting of the white accent stripe had turned out.  The photos look great but I am a fuss budget when it comes to paint and there are spots that I had to go back and touch up once again to get it as perfect as I can.   Nothing really major but the mistake I had made was using a bristle brush instead of a foam one. Much easier to get a near perfect finish with this paint without streaks or miscellaneous brush hairs in the paint. You learn by your mistakes.


After the paint had been corrected and I was happy with it I again wrapped the velomobile with paper and tape to cover up the newly painted white on the body.  


This is the first coat of paint that I  applied this morning.  All with a foam brush.  Looks like it's been sprayed on.  The paint will be left to dry for the next couple of days as I will not be able to get back to the project for at least that amount of time due to my son getting married.  Another great day in my life to be sure so this being put on hold for such an occasion is well worth the wait. 


The finish on the hood of the velomoble really stands out in this photo. The paint is dry and has a terrific gloss to it.  All that sanding I did on this piece and the body pays off when you can get this nice of finish.


This is another good shot of the front of the velomobile.  The red paint will really standout in the sunlight when I get the project finished.  When I can get back to painting again I will scuff the paint down with 320 grit sand paper and then lay down the second coat. Hopefully in another week or so I will quit fussing with the paint and get the entire body put back on to the chassis.  That's the plan anyway.  I'll post the latest info on this project just as soon as I can to keep everyone up to date.  Enjoy the photos.


1 comment:

  1. That is AWESOME. Any idea as to the total weigh that you are adding to the trike? Too bad you couldn't use your body as a mold and sell polycarbonate bodies!

    ReplyDelete