After working for a couple of days dialing in my CNC machine and reworking G-Code files I completed another small beginners project on my machine. I did about a half dozen test cuts in styrofoam so as to not waste more expensive wood and since I've got a pile of foam in my garage it was the perfect thing to use.
I wanted to make a small box for my calipers that I use on a lot of my projects. The calipers is nothing real expensive but it works and so I thought the box project would serve two purposes as I need the practice in working with CNC and the box actually could be useful. The little plastic container that my caliper came in was nothing more than a plastic blister pack. Real cheap and flimsy to be sure. I wanted something that would be a lot more sturdy.
The foam gave me a good visual as to the size of my box and if I had designed it to fit my needs. This was cut at 30 inches per minute.
The vacuum system worked.... kind of. That was until It got clogged and I was removing very little of the sawdust that was left on my part. I cut this part at 30 inches per minute but dialed it back to 20 which worked just as well and the machine ran smoother too.
There's a part under there some place. Needless to say I removed the vacuum skirt and foot and ran a straight vacuum hose directly on the part. It was a bit messy but not anywhere near this bad. I will keep the guard when I am doing engraving or not trying to make a massive cut though wood like this one.
This looks a hundred times better. I still want to varnish the box but that is the easy part now.
Pretty close to a perfect custom fit. I'm pleased with it considering it is the most complicated piece I've tried to put together so far. A friend of mine at the Co-Lab in Davenport said that the hardest thing to make in wood is a box. After doing this little one. I believe him. Looks simple but it's not.
I'm glad to put my tools down for the day and let the dust settle.